With just a few days to go till the #BenGoldIndia tour kicks off in Mumbai and Delhi at The blueFROG, we caught up with Ben to get a lowdown on what his expectations are. Read on to know a bit more about his love for Indian food and evolution of his typical sound!
1. Are you excited about your debut tour to India? What have you been hearing from your fellow DJs about their experience here?
For sure. India has been one of the places I have always wanted to perform. I always hear great feedback from fellow DJ’s about their shows, and about the people. I’m glad I am finally coming to India!
2. Being a DJ today seems to be all about the glamour and attention. Give us an insight into your life.
Its certainly not all glamour, but I’m extremely lucky to be able to do this job. I spend a lot of time on my own at airports, on flights and in hotel rooms, all to be able to perform all over the world; Its worth every second! My macbook is a mini version of my studio that I have at home, so I’m able to work on set-ups and ideas for new tunes whilst I’m on tour. I go to the gym as often as I can, it’s important to stay fit and healthy when travelling every weekend. I love my job, and wouldn’t change it for the world!
3. Tell us a bit about your ASOT experience. What preparations go into creating a fantastic set like that one?
Playing at any ASOT party is always a highlight in your career. They put on the biggest trance parties in the world. I spend time making and sourcing exclusive new material for my sets at ASOT. Its a good opportunity to showcase your new music to the world.
4. How would you describe the transformation of your style and sound since the last few years of your career?
Whats noticeable before anything else is the bpm. My records have slowed down over the years, but as a result, have become more intricate, more fun etc. My music is Trance, which sub-genre it fits into, I am not sure, as everyone has a different opinion on this. The transformation from my first ever Ben Gold release to my current one is a musical development in my sound, I never wanted to copy anyone, I just want to make music that makes me dance in the studio.
5. We hear that you enjoy cooking and are a food lover. Are there any recipes of Indian food in your cookbook?
I like most Indian food, but Lamb Saag is a favourite dish of mine, with extra garlic and chilli. Never before a show though haha!
6. Do you have any message for your fans who are waiting to see play live in a few days? Are they in for any surprises?
Firstly, I am so happy to be coming to India. Over the last few years, I have seen a huge increase in fans from India on my social platforms. I’m always a couple of singles ahead so expect to hear new Ben Gold music which you wouldn’t have heard anywhere else, alongside some of your favorites!
Buy your tickets to the gig now!